The Union Public Service Commission is India’s premier central recruiting agency. It is responsible for appointments to and examinations for All India services and group A & group B of Central services. While Department of Personnel and Training is the central personnel agency in India.
The agency’s charter is granted by Part XIV of the Constitution of India, titled as Services Under the Union and the States. The commission is mandated by the Constitution for appointments to the services of the Union and All India Services. It is also required to be consulted by the Government in matters relating to the appointment, transfer, promotion and disciplinary matters. The commission reports directly to the President and can advise the Government through him. Although, such advice is not binding on the Government. Being a constitutional authority, UPSC is amongst the few institutions which function with both autonomy and freedom, along with the country’s higher judiciary and lately the Election Commission.
|UPSC Prelims Exam Papers||Duration||Questions||Marks|
|Paper I – General Studies: It is qualifying paper to write the mains exam||2 Hours||100||200|
|Paper II – Aptitude: This paper is of qualifying nature, but candidate must score at least 33% marks in this paper and marks of this paper are not counted for writing the Mains examination.||2 Hours||80||200|
There are 2 papers in Prelims exam – General Studies and Aptitude or CSAT (Civil Services Aptitude Test). Download UPSC 2018 Syllabus. Here we are providing SAT Syllabus (Aptitude Test) for 2018 Prelims Exams. Check out for SAT Syllabus from below. Also download SAT Syllabus from the links that we have provided from this article.
The answer key for UPSC General Studies Paper has already been released. In this article, we’ll tell you, how can prepare for UPSC Prelims 2018 Paper.
General Studies Paper I Syllabus
- Current events of national and international importance
- History of India and Indian national movement
- Indian and World Geography- Physical, Social, Economic Geography of India and the world
- Indian Polity and Governance – Constitution, Political system, Panchayati Raj, Public Policy, Rights issues, etc.
- Economic and Social development – sustainable development, poverty, inclusion, demographics, social sector initiatives etc.
- General issues on environmental ecology, Bio-diversity and Climate change-that donot require subject specialization
- General science
- Interpersonal skills including communicationskills
- Logical reasoning and analytical ability
- Decisionmaking and problem solving
- General mental ability
- Basic numeracy (numbers and their relations,orders of magnitude etc.) (Class X level), Data Interpretation (charts, graphs,tables, data sufficiency etc. – Class X level)
- English Language Comprehension skills (Class X level)
- Questions relating to English LanguageComprehension skills of Class X level. (will be tested through passages fromEnglish language only without providing Hindi translation)
Points to be remember before appearing UPSC Prelims exam :
- The questions in the UPSC Prelims exams are objective type also called as multiple choice questions.
- There is “Negative Marking” in the Prelims exam. There is a penalty of 33% marks or 0.83 marks for every wrong answer. Though decision making and problem solving section doesn’t have negative marking.
- Since 2013, it’s for the first time the Indian Forest Service (IFS) aspirants are combined with the Civil Services candidates to take the Preliminary examination. The aspirants who may clear the Preliminary exam have to separately write the Mains exams for Indian Forest Service.
- Blind candidates are allowed extra time of 20 mins for each paper.
- It is mandatory for the candidate to appear in both the papers of Civil Services (Prelim) examination for the purpose of evaluation.
- The marks scored in the Prelims exam is not counted in the final tally of the Mains exam or the Interview. Many students appear multiple times to clear UPSC Prelims because limited numbers of candidates are chosen to write the mains exam. For its preparation qualities like a sharp memory and basic retention power and proper strategy is needed. Conceptual clarity on every topic of the syllabus is required so I hope this UPSC Prelims Syllabus & Structure 2018 article may helpful to you to know about the pattern and detailed syllabus of prelims
Click Here for Official Link